WHAT IS ZAKA:
Zaka is the patron spirit of farmers in Haiti and celebrates prosperity and harvest.
ZakaFest was founded to promote Haitian culture in South Florida. We strive to connect people to Haitian folk life via music, art, dance, and more! The festival is a fun-filled educational experience that showcases a variety of traditional Haitian art forms.
BENEFITS TO THE COMMUNITY:
ZakaFest embraces all aspects of Haitian culture and delivers a creative product that appeals to a variety of audiences.
We have focus on youth because exposing them to other cultures will broaden their horizons, giving them new perspectives of life.
Through workshops, lectures, residency programs, and interactive performances we provide a positive experience for people of all ages.
- 5 years of an independently produced ZakaFest in South Florida.
- This includes a proven track record of reaching diverse audiences, including youth and adults.
(2013 attendee survey)
- Expected Audience for 2014*
(estimate based on 2013 attendee survey)
- Performing & Teaching Artists
Locally based & International
- 46% of respondents reported that ZakaFest was the most exciting cultural event they had attended.